Monday, October 5, 2015

Sacred Feminine Initiation: One Way of Understanding What Happens


Initiation is a very right brain, non-linear experience that can never be adequately named or described by a thousand left brain linear sentences. It came to me to simply share a dream that conveys what Sacred Feminine initiation is via images and metaphor. I had this dream about 1982 in the very early days of my exploration of the Feminine while I was in Jungian analysis around the time of my first volcanic Kundalini awakening. I was longing to experience what I named then as my creativity, and I see now I was desperate to experience and express my authentic Self. I did not know then that this almost unbearable longing was actually an experience of the Kundalini Shakti, the Sacred Feminine spiritual power that purifies, heals, and awakens us.
I wanted to know the deep Feminine even though I really had no idea what that was until I began to experience directly the power of the archetypal feminine energies in my self. I read the books and pamphlets of the early women writers who were students and colleagues of Jung, and I understood the feminine archetypes at an informational level. When I began to work with the archetypes of the Mother, the Amazon, the Lover, the Medial, and the Queen with myself and with other women in groups and individually, I was initiated into the mysteries of these archetypal energies. Initiation is a profound process of direct experience that teaches and transforms us, awakens us to the truth of who we are and what we are here for. These archetypal fires of initiation bring us en face with our identifications, conditioning, old stories, and unhealed wounds so that they can be healed, and we can live as the awakened beings that we are. Initiation transforms us and life as we know it. That’s the challenge and the gift.
We cannot begin to imagine that we know what we are asking for when we follow our longing for the Sacred Feminine. This is a journey of not knowing… I asked and was given this dream:
My five-year-old son is leading me to a mysterious cave in the side of a mountain. I have a sense we are in the southwest, maybe Utah. I follow him in, and soon I am walking into the cool, moist darkness alone. I can see clearly despite the absence of any light. Is it my own light that pierces this darkness? I walk the well-work path through this cave that twists and curves like a snake and spirals deeper into the luminous darkness. I walk slowly and carefully and come upon disintegrating corpses, skeletons, decomposing bodies, and emaciated, nearly-dead people chained to the walls. I am terrified, I cannot help them, and I don’t want to touch them or even get near any of them. They are repulsive to me. I hear them moaning and groaning, and the sounds of their chains and manacles clinking pierces my nervous system like electricity. The stench of decay, waste, and death is so revolting that I run as fast as I can, deeper into the cave. It never occurs to me to turn and run back out the way I came in.   
            Past the charnel ground, I immediately notice a significant shift in the energy and I become curious. I walk on a bit and I discover a number of small, flickering, candles in the recesses of the cold, gray stone walls. Obviously others had travelled this way before me and lit the devotional candles. There is a niche carved into the cave wall at eye-level, a small shrine with a statue of Mother Mary. She is about a foot tall and looks like so many statues of the Blessed Mother, standing there in a sky blue gown with her arms and hands extended, palms open and up in a gesture of giving, receiving, and welcoming. Her face is young and pretty and she exudes a kind of sweetness in her expression. What is unusual is that she wears a hand made white brocade cape around her shoulders. As I became ever more present to Mother Mary of this charnel ground, a great sense of peace fills me.  
I re-member and feel in my body and heart my long-forgotten childhood love of the Blessed Mother. I had forgotten about her as I moved from teens into my twenties and thirties. Waves of remembrance, humility, shame for abandoning Her, and gratitude sweep through me, and I fall to my knees before her in tears of love and the deep recognition and joy of reunion. I wake up.
This dream holds significance on both collective and personal levels. The collective significance is that the Divine Mother, Kundalini Shakti, can be found in all things and beings, anywhere and everywhere, including the charnel grounds and the darkest places on earth and within us. She hidden deep in a cave in the charnel grounds to  symbolize the exile of the Feminine—divine and human—by patriarchy, made explicit in our creation myth in Genesis where our Mother Goddess Eve is blamed, shamed, and exiled as the cause of original sin and the fall of man. In my dream, the Divine Mother is self-illuminating, her light emanates from within Her, as does ours, and as did mine when I entered the darkness of the cave. Sacred Feminine initiation leads us into the unknown shadows of our own being and brings us face to face with the luminous Divine Mother within. Once we feel the longing we go seeking, and it may take awhile before we realize that what we seek is what we are.
Mother Mary was the form in which I first experienced the Divine Feminine when I was six. I fell totally in love with her, probably because I didn’t live with my own mother and my grief and need for my mother were unmet. I turned to the Blessed Mother and had many conversations with her, wept in her lap many nights as a child while in bed. She was my consolation and refuge. I created shrines to Mother Mary in my room and outdoors, and at eight I started the Blessed Virgin Mary Club—a child-like foreshadowing of the Temple of the Sacred Feminine.
I was in my early thirties when I began my Jungian studies when I learned that there were goddesses in other cultures and traditions, and that there had been matriarchal cultures who worshipped a Mother Goddess long before patriarchy came on the scene. I didn’t understand that goddesses were archetypal energies that we can embody until I began studying Jung. I also did not know that the feminine archetypes were portals of spiritual initiation and awakening until I was actually invoking them with other women. Nothing in those early writings by the Jungian women suggested that archetypes were portals of psychological and spiritual initiation. It was a stunning discovery that changed my life and the lives of many other women in the Temple community.   
My dream suggests that it is our innate, child-like innocence and curiosity that leads us to awaken to our essential nature. In my dream this is represented by the sweet inner masculine of my five-year-old son joyfully leading me into the mysterious maw of the cave. Jung believed that the primal urge of all humans is a religious instinct. The word religion is derived from the Latin word, religare, ‘to bind back’, to go back to our roots, our source. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people passionately say, “I want to go Home,” and they don’t mean to Kansas. It is natural for humans to want to know and seek their source and we have been doing so since the beginning of humanity on the planet. Home is at the other end of the yearning. When we direct our attention into the longing in our own heart, rather than ‘out there’ where we may attach it to some person or thing, we arrive Home, at the source of our longing, the source of our existence. All we have to do is turn toward our hearts.
The image of entering a dark cave is so feminine—it is like going back to the womb, to the source of our human life. The cave is also symbolic of the tomb, as it was for Jesus and those poor dying and dead souls in my dream, and it is the alchemical vessel of transformation. While in the underworld phase of initiation, we may feel as if we are dying—and we are in certain ways. Much is being released and much recovered and healed all at once. We are dying and being reborn with every breath. When alchemy is happening, unhealed wounds appear in order to be met and healed, old identities dissolve, and we find out that we are not who we thought we were. Our familiar reference points may disappear and our karma with certain people in our lives may be complete and those relationships over. We emerge into a new life and the way to that new life can be very arduous, with sacrifices to be made, old wounds to face, losses to grieve. This is the price of birthing a more authentic self. At a certain point in this creative process there is a paradigm shift from head to heart and we begin to see through the darkness, see that there are infinite possibilities held within this initiation and our lives, and we may start to feel excited about this. Eventually we come to know in our flesh and bones that the womb and the tomb are the same.
Embracing of this paradox of womb and tomb, or any other polarities that arise, brings us to the transcendent, the shrine of the Holy Mother within our own center. The presence of my boy child also shows the importance and the preciousness of the young, innocent, unconditioned masculine energy within us. The bright inner masculine, the animus, is an essential guide and helper on a woman’s initiatory journey. His function is to point the way, shine the light so that we can see where to step next, and enter with innocence, not knowing anything. I have noticed that the masculine has played a significant role in every major initiation I have been through. This is Divine Arrangement, not coincidence. The masculine and feminine energies within us come into right alignment. Initiation is not a journey that the egoic mind can grasp or enjoy. In fact, the egoic, thinking mind will be de-throned on this adventure of the soul, like the Wizard of Oz that it is. Jung wrote that a coup for the Self (aka the Divine) is always a defeat for the ego.
Women need to make friends with this inner masculine energy along the way, restore it to health and innocence if conditioning has corrupted it, and cultivate it to its maturity. Eventually we partner with him in an inner sacred marriage, the hieros gamos, which we experience as another shift of consciousness. Many shifts and expansions of consciousness happen as we follow the path of the Sacred Feminine.
 Again and again, we encounter our own shadow via the feminine archetypal invocations—the corpses, skeletons, and half-dead beings that are the unhealed, unloved, unknown, parts of ourselves. As we go, we become well-acquainted with our own fear and primal terror in all of its appearances and embodied sensations. We also encounter joy, bliss, ecstasy we have never known before. Our guides, angels, wise beings, ancestors, and totem animals accompany us and give us support, advice, wisdom and comfort that we can ask for. Under the protective, experienced wings of an initiatory elder, we can learn the tools and skillful means needed for every step of the journey. There are countless practices and ways to meet what is as it is, and even embrace it, no matter what it is. As we discover and welcome our shadow—what has long been hidden, not only in us, but also in our ancestral lineage—we become more of who we are meant to be and abide in who and what we truly are. Healing happens, soul retrievals and  ancestral healings occur, we discover our deepest gifts, and our boundlessly creative potential is free to fly. We are empowered to step into the world to Be that which we are here to Be and all that that implies.
© Sheila Foster 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment